Order Signed Copies From The Ripped Bodice Bookstore
SIDEKICK SQUAD, BOOK THREE—
Emma Robledo has a few more responsibilities that the usual high school senior, but then again, she and her friends have left school to lead a fractured Resistance movement against a corrupt Heroes League of Heroes. Emma is the only member of a supercharged team without powers, and she isn’t always taken seriously. A natural leader, Emma is determined to win this battle, and when that’s done, get back to school. As the Resistance moves to challenge the League, Emma realizes where her place is in this fight: at the front.
Lambda Literary Award finalist C.B. Lee returns with the third book in her bestselling Sidekick Squad series, which has garnered both critical acclaim and fans for its joyous tone and inclusivity.
Interlude Press| Ripped Bodice | Mysterious Galaxy | Indiebound | Barnes and Noble | Amazon
- Most Anticipated Queer YA Books, Hypable, December 28, 2017
- 35 of Our Most Anticipated LGBTQAP YA Books of 2019: May-June, Barnes and Noble, December 18, 2018
- 16 of Our Most Anticipated Sequels of 2019,Barnes and Noble, January 14, 2019
- Cover Reveal and Excerpt, Book Riot, January 16, 2019
- 68 LGBT YA Books to Get Excited for in 2019, Autostraddle, February 4, 2019
- 100 LGBTQ+ Books Every Teen Should Read, Half Price Books, May 24, 2019
- Five Reasons To Read the Sidekick Squad Series, Hypable, May 31, 2019
- 38 Of The Best YAs of June, Barnes and Noble, May 31, 2019
- New Releases: Secretive Friendships, Bold Blackmailers, Confusing Attractions, Barnes and Noble, June 4, 2019
- Not All Heroes Wear Capes: C.B. Lee’s Sidekick Squad Series, Tor, June 12, 2019
- YA Starring POC, LGBTQ Reads, June 20, 2019
- 30 Impressive Indie Press Books From 2019, Independent Book Review, December 11, 2019
- Best Young Adult Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror of 2019, Tor, December 12, 2019
Not Your Sidekick, Not Your Villain, and Not Your Backup are entertaining and propulsive novels written with confidence, charm, and cheek. C. B. Lee gets not only how to elevate superhero tropes but how to write teenagers in an honest and compelling way. Everything from the worldbuilding to the plots to the character development are firing on all cylinders. The Abby-centric fourth novel, Not Your Hero, can’t come soon enough.
The Sidekick Squad are back and better than ever in Not Your Villain…There’s nothing quite like the found-family narrative, nor the team up against a corrupt government, and the unrelenting optimism and power of a group of largely queer-identifying teens.
C.B. Lee’s utterly charming Sidekick Squad series has it all—swoony romance, thought-provoking deconstructions of superhero tropes, and the cutest robots ever. But best of all are her very human, very relatable characters—vibrant personalities you just can’t help but root for as they make their way in the world. If you’re a fan of superheroes, thoughtful sci-fi, and/or general awesomeness, you need these books in your life.
—Sarah Kuhn, author of Heroine Complex
C. B. Lee’s Not Your Backup perfectly weaves together superhero fun and queer self-discovery in a compelling story that made my aroace heart sing. I loved it from the first to the last page.
—Claudie Arseneault, author of Baker Thief
Not Your Backup by C.B. Lee is the third book in the Sidekick Squad series and is just as good as its predecessors. Readers should buckle up because in this installment, Emma’s at the wheel and it’s her turn to shine as leader of the newly created resistance movement (THE LEAGUE IS A LIE!). It’s a challenge she’s absolutely up for but mishaps and setbacks cause her to doubt herself. Meanwhile, she’s also in the midst of figuring out her romantic and sexual identity after agreeing to date her best friend, Bells. With realistic (and supportive!) relationships anchoring the narrative, Lee crafts a well-paced story of self discovery, brimming with effortless inclusivity and thrilling dose of heroic adventure.
—Claire Kann, author of Let’s Talk About Love
The universe that Lee created in Not Your Sidekick is as sharp and effortlessly detailed as ever…. They do what they can to save the world, without ever aspiring to be a savior, learning that true heroism comes through working together.
Vibrant and fast paced, Not Your Backup delivers a heartfelt tale of friendship, teamwork, and self-identity. The characters leap of the page–and then do a barrel roll for good measure. If I had a time machine, this is the book I’d send back to my teenage self. Emma is the protagonist I needed then, and she’s the protagonist I need now. Not Your Backup is an utter delight!
—Rosiee Thor, author of Tarnished Are The Stars